Summary: Every time you need to check your Mastercard gift card balance, you must be very careful. Taking some simple precautions can keep your card balance safe with you.
If you are used to using gift cards of prepaid cards, you must be aware of the fact that keeping track of available balance in these cards is a very tedious affair. While you do get a number of ways in which to check the actual balance available, even slightest mistake can lead to your card details landing in the hands of the wrong person who will wipe out all of the money from your account. It is therefore of utmost importance that you follow recommended safety precautions every time you check your Mastercard gift card balance. Below are some security tips along with information about when they apply.
When you check balance on phone call:
- Make sure that you dial your card number in IVR correctly and slowly.
- If you have to read the card number out to customer care representative, make sure you are in a secluded place where no one else can hear you.
- Never read out you card validity or CVV number to anyone. Insist that you enter these numbers through the Interactive Voice Response system.
When you check balance on website:
- Make sure that you are on the correct website.
- Make sure that your browser is using an HTTPS connection.
- Make sure that you do not save your card details in your browser.
- Make sure that you regularly reset the password to log in to the website when you check balance.
When you check balance through email:
- Make sure that you are sending the email to correct recipient.
- Never mention you full card number in subject line, instead only mention the last few digits of the card number
- Never mention your CVV or card expiry information in the email
- If possible, try to send an encrypted email. Look for a lock icon in your email client software to encrypt your email.
When you check balance through mobile app:
- Make sure that the app is obtained from a trusted source like Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
- Make sure that your phone is not jailbroken or rooted as these phones become vulnerable to hackers who want to steal money.
- Make sure that your phone PIN and your card app PIN are different as this will present another barrier if your phone is stolen and thethief is able to find out your PIN.
Your Mastercard gift card balance is generally very safe because all the gift card vendors have to comply to by ‘Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards’ just like the banks that issue credit cards or debit cards Still a system is only as secure as its weakest link. If you follow these precautions, you can always keep your card safe.